Welcome to my film collection! On here i'll be reviewing my dvds as and when I watch them. I'll also give my opinion on films I catch at the cinema and on t.v.

Saturday 23 October 2010

Monsters Inc.


Those that know me best would be able to describe me as a big kid. I basically stopped maturing at about age 10. I still find farting funny and I still love animated films. About the best studio for these is Pixar which, as I understand it, is a sort of offshoot of Disney.


Monsters Inc, which i have just finished watching is about those scary monsters we were all so afraid of when we were little kids. In this movie they scare kids in order to capture their screams which in turn power their town. Sulley and Mike are our 2 leads here, Sulley is big and hairy and Mike is green and has one eye. Round where i live they'd be considered normal but in Monsters inc they form the best scaring team and are approaching the record for numbers of screams until a small kid sneaks in through one of the doors and ends up in their world. See, whilst they elicit screams from the kids, they, in turn, are petrified of the little mites.


The rest of the film is a comic caper following Sulley and Mike as they first overcome their fear of the wean, who goes by the moniker of Boo and then try to return her to her room. Along the way they also have to contend with a rival, Randall who wants to use Boo as a guinea pig for his invention that rips screams from kids. As our heroes go on their journey, they grow attached to Boo and Sulley in particular forms a strong bond with her.


That's where this film really shines. it has a real warmth to it, a brilliant sense of love and emotion that shines through in every frame between Boo and her protectors. There are moments in the film, both when you can feel the walls coming down and then at the end when Sulley briefly scares and then has to say goodbye to Boo where one has to wipe away a tear. not that this film is a pure tearjerker, not at all. There are moments that make you laugh out loud, like when Mike briefly improvises a song and dance routine.


In keeping with all the Pixar films, the animation is rich and compelling with every frame detailed beyond belief and you can almost feel the care and attention that must have gone into it. For example, Sulley, who is covered in blue-green fur? You can see the individual hairs moving. The voice actors in this are superb and unlike in other animated movies, I didn't find myself trying to work who was playing which part, I just went with it, they were that good.


Monsters Inc leaves you with a warm glow inside, it's a real feel good flick. This is a film that kids will eat up and adults will love as well. i can't recommend it enough, it's easily my favorite animated movie, at least until we get a new Wild Thronberrys effort! (kidding!)

1 comment:

  1. Sulley seems to remind me of somebody...now who would it be?

    ReplyDelete