Welcome to my film collection! On here i'll be reviewing my dvds as and when I watch them. I'll also give my opinion on films I catch at the cinema and on t.v.

Thursday 30 December 2010

Megamind



Perhaps it is because I am essentially a big kid but at the moment I am really enjoying animated movies. I particularly adore Pixar's efforts but really, any cartoon movie can grab me. I'll usually make my selection based on reviews in the papers or trailers but every so often, as with other genres, I'll go to the cinema or pick up a DVD with no expectations.



This was just such the event that saw me wandering into the flicks to see Megamind. I had just emerged, with numb buttocks from Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 and had a need to use the last remaining free ticket I had. I was drawn in by the fact that the showing I was heading into was in that new-fangled 3D. So with baited breath and feeling a little bit silly I donned my glasses and took my seat.



This is, in essence, a movie about redemption with the the titular character starting off as a baby sent from his home planet a'la Superman. Unfortunately for our big and blue headed protagonist, another baby is launched form the doomed planet and this baby winds up landing in a nice rich family's home on Earth whilst Megamind? He winds up landing in prison where the convicts bring him up. This has the effect of making him into an evil genius intent on taking over Metrocity whilst that lucky kid? He ends up as his nemesis who thwarts him at every turn. However, once Megamind vanquishes his foe, he is left with a sense of emptiness, of needing a foil to play off. He also falls in love with an intrepid reporter and then tries to recreate another opponent but that goes awry when his creation turns out to be evil instead of good. He also has an epiphany when he realises he wants to be good instead of evil in order to make the reporter fall in love with him. He initially uses a disguise to do this but after a while, he sheds his disguise to show his true self. So in this movie, as well as a nice story for the kids to enjoy we have a pretty good theme of redemption and really sweet love story. The animation and effects are all pretty good and there are some genuinely nice touches like a good riff on the Obama election poster. This is an undemanding film but at the same time it is a lot of fun and you wont leave it feeling short changed. I thoroughly enjoyed it and when it come out on DVD I'll be hunting it down. I recommend you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment