Welcome to my film collection! On here i'll be reviewing my dvds as and when I watch them. I'll also give my opinion on films I catch at the cinema and on t.v.

Wednesday 19 January 2011

The American President



I am a big fan of the t.v. show The West Wing, a political drama that follows the ups and downs around the West Wing and the lives of the staff therein. As far as I am concerned it is the best t.v. show of all time and this movie is by the same people responsible.




Michael Douglas is the President, a single father whose wife died whilst on the election trail. So he face life in the White House on his sweeney. However he meets Sidney Wade, a female lobbyist that is working on the behalf of an environmental group. After an embarrassing first meeting, the pair form a bond and a relationship that tests the Presidents credibility and brings his opponents to the fore. Richard Dreyfuss plays a Republican (boo! hiss!) presidential hopeful who launches a character assassination attempt against the President and his new flame.






As I have already mentioned, this film was made by the same people who gave us The West Wing and that shines through here. We see several of the same actors that etched their way into out consciousness and there are elements of the plot here that make it into the West Wing. The writing is amazing and all the actors involved pull off the ultimate acting trick of making you totally and utterly buy into each and every character and care enough what happens to them. There is a speech towards the end of this movie that almost had me standing up and cheering. Most of the film is set within the confines of Washington and to me, as a one-time visitor to that place, that's an added bonus.


My tastes in movies is quite eclectic but one genre I don't normally go for is the romantic comedy. That way lies estrogen and that's for me. However, this is one rom-com that absolutely hits the spot and makes you laugh and at times can jerk a tear.

No comments:

Post a Comment