Welcome to my film collection! On here i'll be reviewing my dvds as and when I watch them. I'll also give my opinion on films I catch at the cinema and on t.v.

Tuesday 14 December 2010

Independence Day


Bombastic movies can be fun, can be perfect popcorn munching fodder. In the vein of Jurassic Park, this movies is very much a full on summer event movie, one that was hyped to the nether regions by talk of the special effects. I went to see this at my favorite cinema ever, the ABC at the Elephant and Castle. A proper fleapit cinema that was and one that is sadly no more.


I wish I could say that Independence Day matched up to my rose tinted memories of the cinema but sadly it lacks in so many different areas. The special effects are spectacular and they do make your jaw drop, at least upon the first viewing, but since the films release they have been bettered many times over. Unlike Jurassic Park, the special effects here drive the film instead of the other way around and that lends itself to a heartless, soulless piece of trash. The dialogue is clunky and almost winch inducing at times.


Jingoism also rears it's ugly head here with the Americans portrayed as world saving hero's and the rest of humanity as feckless cowards, huddling in the dark, waiting to be rescued. When the foreigners are shown it's like they have been lifted straight form the Big Book Of Stereotypes with Arabs in tents (intense?) and fey British officers. The American actors within this stunning piece of craptitude don;t fare much better are almost all utterly detestable. In fact, you find yourself rooting for the aliens within half an hour of the films opening. Will Smith is like Marmite, you ever love him or loathe him. For my part I find him to be a touch too clean-cut and in this film, early on in his career, he plays a fighter pilot, one of the hero's that slays the alien menace.


Really, watching this film back now I am struck by the fact that I am miles too old for it. This is really a crash, bang and wallop picture, one that surely holds appeal to 15 year old's and moronic ones at that. Ridiculous moments abound like the President jumping into a fighter jet and taking the fight to the enemy.


Do yourself a favour and watch something else, anything else than this garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment