Welcome to my film collection! On here i'll be reviewing my dvds as and when I watch them. I'll also give my opinion on films I catch at the cinema and on t.v.

Sunday 7 November 2010

Star Wars : A New Hope


I don't know why I've held off on reviewing this film for so long seeing as it has had a huge influence on my life, more so than any other film. As a child I would pretend to be the different characters with an emphasis on Darth Vader and Grand Moff Tarkin. It probably says a lot about me that I would identify with the villainous characters first and foremost!




I think that by now everyone has seen this movie and knows the plot and dialogue and all that inside out and back to front, I know I certainly do! Essentially this a simple Good Guys v Evil Empire battle set in space. That's the simple view of it but this film is so much more than that. It's a coming of age story with Luke the farm boy yearning for adventure. It has a roguish pirate type in Han Solo and a damsel in distress that isn't all she seems in Princess Leia. The villain in chief in Darth Vader is one of the all time great baddies and his reveal at the start is awesome as he strides through the smoke of the doomed blockade runner. As we all know, Luke comes good and destroys the Empires Death Star weapon, with the help of Han Solo but we also see that Darth Vader survives, setting the scene for the sequel The Empire Strike Back, of which another time.



The dialogue is almost wince inducing at time but it works somehow. The special effects were wondrous for it's time but they have been bettered since which is not surprising given that this film is now 33 years old. For their time however they were groundbreaking and today they still hold up. The characters could perhaps do with a little more depth but then again this is not a film intended to compete with the likes of The Godfather. This movie is one that captures ones imagination for the run time and beyond. Just look towards the massive merchandising, including countless video games and novels. This film has left an imprint on my psyche and there can be no higher praise than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment