Welcome to my film collection! On here i'll be reviewing my dvds as and when I watch them. I'll also give my opinion on films I catch at the cinema and on t.v.

Thursday 13 January 2011

Resident Evil




I like video games and have done so ever since I first fired up my Amstrad and took charge of Harrier Attack and Roland On The Ropes. Since then, both my taste in games and movies has moved on and I have developed a big liking for films based on my favorite video games. Usually they are almost always awful but you watch each one, hoping it will live up to the game.



This is a film based on the very popular Resident Evil games, which are survival horror games based a zombie apocalypse. I'm onto a winner straight away there being a zombie fan! We open with a virus being leaked in a secret underground lab. We then follow a group of tough commandos and an amnesiac woman as they endeavour to discover any survivors and root out the story of what happened at The Hive. Reading that back, it makes the film sound very slight, very forgettable and in essence that's true but for all that it is fairly enjoyable.



The acting is perfectly OK, whilst not being outstanding, the gore factor is present but seems strangely sanitised. There are a few jumps here which is par for the course with any zombie flick. The characters are fleshed out enough to pull you along with the story if not make them quite believable. Of all the video game into film adaptations I have seen, this one is about as close to the source material as you're going to get. Given that, it's more of a full on action style zombie flick than one that goes for scares or laughs.


It wont change your life and nor will it make you question your sanity in buying or renting it but it will prove to a be a diverting and enjoyable 90 minutes. Subsequent Resident Evil movies have improved upon this original but this a fairly decent jump off point.

No comments:

Post a Comment